Saturday, July 30, 2005

multiculture

I've now finished and sent in the review of Read's book.

Next (and for all intents and purposes last) up on the review front is Paul Gilroy's Postcolonial Melancholia. (Which I believe goes under another title in the UK.) I've flicked through it before, and even read the Preface, in which Gilroy writes that "Britain should make more of the conspicuous gains brought about in its civil society by an unkempt, unruly, and unplanned multiculture" (xiv). It'll be interesting to read this book in the light of the recent unruliness.

I may take a little longer on this review, as at the same time I'll be starting up on the Book again, and saving Gilroy for downtime.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Eight times, mind you. And apparently it was a denim jacket, rather than anything particularly bulky. See this story from The Times.

I've made some progress on the Gilroy. He seems to be defending a cosmopolitan humanism. But it's still to early to say very much.